Garmin GTX 330 For Sale

If you have or need parts or supplies relating to Aerostar aircraft or engines, this is the place to connect with a buyer or seller. Of course the Aerostar-Forum makes no representation as to the status of anything offered for sale.
Bob Keeping

Garmin GTX 330 For Sale

Post by Bob Keeping » 02 Apr 2019, 13:10

I have a Garmin GTX 330 transponder for sale. I always thought it was a good idea to have a spare available already set up with the right HEX code. If not on board - at least it could be sent by an at-home rep by Fed-Ex overnight.

This is a NON-ES version and the plan was to send it to Garmin for the ES upgrade ($1,200) and it comes back with a tag. It was working when removed but never did get it upgraded.

For sale at $800 US plus shipping (with your ES upgrade a like-new ADS-B ready unit for $2,200 total.)
Bob Keeping
rak@innovationtwo.com

Skip Dykema

Re: Garmin GTX 330 For Sale

Post by Skip Dykema » 04 Apr 2019, 23:19

Dear Bob and all,

I just in the past 2 weeks completed the process of having a GTX330 sent to Garmin for extended squitter upgrade and installation post upgrade. I can't say how much Garmin actually charged, since you have to send in through a dealer. I can say that I was charged $1900 plus $75 shipping. Soooo.....you might have to update your numbers a little (significantly!). There was an additional $300 charge to set the system up in the aircraft, including Major Repair and Alteration Form 337, amendment to the Airplane Flight Manual, Instructions for Continued Airworthiness inserted into the Aircraft Maintenance Manual, and final testing. Extended Squitter did everything except change the weight and balance. Just saying......

Sincerely,
Skip Dykema
Skip Dykema, Davie, Fla. cell 954-661-1454
Aerostar 600AZ, 1969 all electric 601 derated to NA---short wing

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 05 Apr 2019, 13:49

Your dealer made a GREAT markup on that little project. Maybe we could look at the price of a NEW ES version to make a comparison.
          __ I __
      --ø--(_)--ø---
          "   '    "
     Forum Queen

Bob Keeping

Post by Bob Keeping » 08 Apr 2019, 14:28

I got my second 330 updated for $1,200 (it was a couple of years back) - and it was shipped through a dealer. It looks like your shop made $700 on the upgrade the charged you $300 for putting the HEX code in there. - and yes shipping is extra.

Bottom line is the upgrade comes back as a "new" unit. At the time I think the new instrument with ES was $4,500. They are selling second hand between 3,000 and 4,000. I believe upgrading a non-es is a better option because it comes back with a tag and blank HEX code. If I bought an ES second hand I'd want it benched and tagged by Garmin anyway.
Bob Keeping
rak@innovationtwo.com