No longer looking for an Aerostar

If you have or need parts or supplies relating to Aerostar aircraft or engines, this is the place to connect with a buyer or seller. Of course the Aerostar-Forum makes no representation as to the status of anything offered for sale.
Ryan Hammond

No longer looking for an Aerostar

Post by Ryan Hammond » 12 Mar 2022, 00:00

Hi all,
I was looking!
Thanks!!

Forrest Ward

Re: Looking for an Aerostar 601B or 601P

Post by Forrest Ward » 14 Mar 2022, 12:34

Just popped up on my Face Book feed:

D-IXKJ

1979 601P w/intercoolers and long props and boots

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/sea ... =Jautz+Air

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4225671 ... 913174242/

Michael Vetter is the owner.

Plane looks nice.

Info from previous sale:

http://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/212714 ... r-aerostar

Plane has been painted since these pictures were taken and owner put in radios and radar in 2019.

Flight back from Germany (in a couple months) would be lots of fun.

IF I was going to buy this plane, I’d communicate with owner to get a better idea on the history and condition of the plane, assuming that there were no glaring red flags, I’d work a deal with seller to bring plane to Master Aviation in Danbury for prebuy and US registration inspections.

If plane meets description, pay the agreed upon price.

Alternative is to fly to Germany, maybe you can borrow a mechanic from someone with Aerostar expertise (@ $2K/day….plus travel, etc?), and do prebuy inspection there, and if it’s acceptable, you fly it home.

Between the risk and hassle of bringing it back to FL, I’d want at least a $70K discount for picking it up in Germany.

Heck, if I wasn’t working, I’d bring it back for $2K/Day plus expenses. (New owner is welcome to come along).

I did this trip in May back in 2014.

Airport Hotel in BIRK still owes me a hotel room (I got double charged).
Forrest Ward
N601PE
757-472-9244
vacosvc@gmail.com

Ryan Hammond

Post by Ryan Hammond » 15 Mar 2022, 19:58

The owner contacted me, he is missing the logs from 2001 back.
Its on a CAMO plan, and the owner seems to feel the missing logs are irrelevant.
I tend to disagree about that here in the US. I have a feeling with that much history gap, it would be parted out.
Am i wrong?

Forrest Ward

Post by Forrest Ward » 17 Mar 2022, 14:05

This is just me thinking, I’m not in the market for an (another) Aerostar.
I might be in the future though….

Prob a 600.

Whatever…

My Aerostar had been landed gear up, twice.

I bought it anyway.

14 years and approximately 3500 hours later, it’s still a great plane.

I wouldn’t part out a good Aerostar over a paperwork issue.

Even a paperwork issue that is damaging to resale value.

Willing buyer plus a willing seller equals a deal.

If you don’t want to pay more than the value of the plane parted out, make that offer.

The seller can decide whether to accept it or hold out for another higher offer.

The reality of owning and operating an Aerostar is that cost of ownership dwarfs the cost of purchase.

Which means what you pay to buy one doesn’t really matter.
And what a seller accepts to sell one doesn’t matter either.

Folks on both sides get wrapped around the axle trying to get a good deal or a good price and the plane ends up sitting and deteriorating until parting out IS the only option.

This plane might (likely ought to) be selling at a discount to what an equivalent Aerostar would sell for in the US because it’s a long way from where most potential purchasers are, and the missing log books.
Forrest Ward
N601PE
757-472-9244
vacosvc@gmail.com

Ryan Hammond

Post by Ryan Hammond » 18 Mar 2022, 23:23

I agree the purchase price may not be the main criteria on a plane like the Aerostar.
However, missing the first 30 years of a 55 year old planes logs is going to make it incredibly hard to sell when I’m ready to move on. It exponentially narrows your market, at any price.
I think it looks nice and is well appointed, but even at 100k you still have to get it back from Europe!!
Best of luck to him.

John Kennedy

Post by John Kennedy » 18 May 2022, 16:24

Ryan, I just saw the following posted on a forum:

Art Tarlow is selling his-1979 601P intercoolers and short props new paint 2900TT after upgrading to the turbine market.

617-462-4226